RE: Patent Writers

Subject: RE: Patent Writers
From: "Gene Kim-Eng" <techpubs -at- genek -dot- com>
To: SAhmed -at- DKSYSTEMS -dot- com, techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com
Date: 09 Sep 2003 22:12:32 GMT

I have worked on a few patent filings (supporting a
company's legal staff). None of the companies that I've
worked for ever had a full-time patent writer, they just
drafted their technical writing staff to provide support
to legal and R&D staff who were working on filings. And
yes, it is somewhat similar (emphasis on the "somewhat")
to writing proposals and FDA filings, in that there's an
excrutiatingly detailed specification of the format you
have to follow and if you don't, the whole thing gets
rejected and you have to resubmit it. Other than that,
as near as I can remember it, we were essentially trying
to educate lawyers on how technology worked. The legal
profession appears to be one of the few remaining fields
where practitioners still have secretarial/office support,
and it's not unusual to meet lawyers who are so technically
un-savvy that they don't even know how to load paper into
a copy machine or produce a simple letter in MS Word.

Gene Kim-Eng