Re: What's on your TC bookshelf?

Subject: Re: What's on your TC bookshelf?
From: John Fleming <johntwrl -at- hotmail -dot- com>
To: TECHWR-L -at- LISTS -dot- RAYCOMM -dot- COM
Date: Tue, 09 Sep 2003 21:55:04 -0600

On Tue, 9 Sep 2003 13:45:20 -0700, while chained to a desk in the
scriptorium, cm -at- writeforyou -dot- com ("Chuck Martin") wrote:

> $I leaned back from my work a little while ago and looked at the stacks of
> $book on my desk and realized I had quite an interesting and useful
> $collection--and thet were probably less than half of my total TW/tech
> $library. The thought occurred: how does this compare with others? I use many
> $of these at different times, to double-check grammatical and style rules, to
> $look up code, to support my decisions, and so on.

Your list puts me to shame.

A few of the titles on my bookshelf are:

"Concise Oxford English Dictionary"

"The Canadian Writer's Handbook"

"Handbook for Technical Writing" by James H. Shelton

"MLA Handbook for Writers of Research Papers"

"Chicago Manual of Style" 14th ed., and

"Technically Speaking, A Guide To Communicating Complex
Information" by Jan D'Arcy.

I also have a modest selection of references for software
applications and programming languages, scads of old engineering
textbooks (antenna theory anyone?), sales training, and public
speaking.

John Fleming
Technical Writer
Edmonton, Alberta