Re: Omitting Table and Figure Numbers? (2)

Subject: Re: Omitting Table and Figure Numbers? (2)
From: Dick Margulis <margulis -at- fiam -dot- net>
To: JX <techwrl-list-only -at- doitall -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 10 Sep 2003 12:57:09 -0400

JX wrote:

Yes, there is a genuine benefit to telling the reader that the thing to
look for on the referenced page is a table or a figure rather than a
subhead or a paragraph topic.

My question was whether to omit the number, not the type of thing.

For instance

For details, see Table 12, "Required Database Fields" on page 72.
Or
For details, see the table "Required Database Fields" on page 72.

Does the number provide a genuine benefit?

JX,

I may have misread the question. Both of your constructions work for the reader. The former works for the production folks assembling your book from disparate preparation streams (in a system where one contributor is responsible for preparing tables, another for preparing figures, and a third for preparing text). If you own the whole production process and are unlikely to swap two similar-looking tables or two similar-looking figures, then I don't have a problem with omitting the numbers.

Dick

---
[This E-mail scanned for viruses at mail.fiam.net]