Re: Marketing Yourself

Subject: Re: Marketing Yourself
From: Michele Davis <michele -at- krautgrrl -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 15 Sep 2003 10:16:40 -0500

Thanks, I think you are on the money regarding the PhD. I believe why the MFA turned people away because it was an MFA in Writing and my thesis was short stories, granted they had a theme and ended up being published, but not something like John had that could leverage work for me given that it was fiction.

My concern is mostly this, a lot of my design work are ads, brochures and now this calendar that is going to be a pretty big deal, but I don't want to distract my Web site with Photoshop plastic surgery skills and brochures. I feel there is a dichotomy between that kind of design and TWing.

For example, I am writing a book on Poe which is a critical analysis of his stories. I tell people about it, but it isn't on my resume, because it is literary criticism writing instead of TWing. I have a book coming out next year that is fitness-related. That's not on my resume either. Do you think I should be putting that stuff on my resume?

Having never, ever in my life been captive my resume is a combination chronological and task oriented. For example, my skills are at the top, then the resume lists projects in order from most recent to the last within a four year time frame, which puts the resume over 4 pages. My problem is mostly that I do too many projects at once. I list project, system used and client. Perhaps my structure is off.

A free Web site is a great idea. That's exactly what I did when I first started out, did pro bono content writing and design. Sometimes you forget where you started :)

Michele

Goober Writer wrote:

...a small site for free. Something to get them on the web. Make the only

condition that you get to add your brand to the site
for your advertising purposes ("designed by..."). For
a free site, they should agree to this pretty readily.
You can stipulate a "5 pages free" deal and then
charge for maintenance and additional pages.

But, as I've
indicated before, I've seen the title "PhD" turn many
employers away, as they immediately draw the
conclusion that the PhD-holder will want more control
and power in the company than the open position will
provide. But, depending on the opportunity, I'd
include it. If it's a mid-level writing position, I'd
be hesitant. If a senior-level position, it might be
more appropriate (especially if with a large public
company).

archive -at- raycomm -dot- com