Re: RoboHelp Question - I'm desperate!!!

Subject: Re: RoboHelp Question - I'm desperate!!!
From: Kevin Cheek <cheek1 -at- sbcglobal -dot- net>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 16 Sep 2003 10:22:44 -0700 (PDT)

--- "Hart, Geoff" paraphrased:

> Michelle Parcell reports a RoboHelp problem: <<I have had to
> reassign a few
> topic IDs within the system. I need to assign one of the "old" IDs
> (which
> was used for a topic that now has a different ID) to another
> screen, but
> Robo won't release the old one.>>

I was going to suggest exporting the map file, editing it in a text
editor, and reimporting it.

That was my approach when I was too impatient to learn how to manage
map files within RoboHelp. I actually kept all my mappings in an
Excell spreadsheet, which I would export to a text file, then run a
couple of Word macros to transform the text file to match the format
of the exported RoboHelp map file, and then import the resulting text
file.

The spreadsheet was useful, because I could include a column with
descriptions of each screen calling the help. I could share that with
developers, and it was easier for them to see ("OK, the second
'Modify Query' screen needs to call the 'policy_query_modify_query_2'
help context string.").

Embracing the geek within,

-Kevin Cheek
cheek1 -at- sbcglobal -dot- net