Re: DB app recommendations?

Subject: Re: DB app recommendations?
From: Bruce Byfield <bbyfield -at- axionet -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 17 Sep 2003 09:10:52 -0700

Quoting David Neeley <dbneeley -at- oddpost -dot- com>:

> As my sources tell me, the speed issue depends more on how they are coded and
> what they're doing. In fact, *speed* was why Yahoo! selected MySQL
> originally, they tell me.

My original comments were based on a private comparative study in which MySQL
and Oracle were used for the same data and the same functions. However, now
that you mention it, I doubt that the same care was taken to code MySQL in the
study. I also suspect a bias towards Oracle by the tester. So, there's a strong
possibility that my generality was invalid; as I said, I'm no expert.

However, even if it holds, the difference was not so great that I'd advise
anyone to avoid MySQL. There are other reasons that would make MySQL a very
attractive alternative.

--
Bruce Byfield bbyfield -at- axionet -dot- com 604-421.7177

archive -at- raycomm -dot- com