RE: Still Seeking Your Thoughts About Technical Skills

Subject: RE: Still Seeking Your Thoughts About Technical Skills
From: "Spreadbury, David C." <David -dot- Spreadbury -at- marconi -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 17 Sep 2003 13:06:48 -0400

Ted,
I haven't been following this thread, so what I say may have already been
said.

I have found that the best technical skill is to have been there; done that.
I am not being flippant, at least not trying to be, but I got into this
field because I was attempting to perform a hardware procedure and whoever
wrote that manual had never seen the equipment. What was documented as
approximately a day-long process I worked out to be a fifteen minute
process.

Since then, I have attempted to get my hands on the hardware or actually put
the software to test. I also try to take the view that I don't know anything
about the product, which is the viewpoint that most of your end-users are
going to have. I try to express this to engineers. Telling the engineers
that

"...you know the shortcuts. Your end-users don't. I have to document what I
see or am able to safely do (trying to be careful not to kill myself
(hardware procedure) or take a system down or wipe the system disk (software
procedure). I will take your guidance and attempt to apply it toward the
product. If I run into difficulties, I'll be back (and no, I am not running
for office in California :-))."

Most of the engineers I have had the good fortune to work with understand
this and work with me. When they do, the documents comes out as a very
useable document.

As far as actual writing skills go, I was taught, early on, write like to
speak. If you were trying to teach someone how to perform a specific
procedure, how would you "Say" it to them. Keep the big words to a minimum.
Provide explanations of new concepts/technology. When you are reading
something to your 5 year old and use a word he/she doesn't understand, you
explain it. Same is true when writing about some new concept or technology.
Heck, when I read something and don't understand a word, I dig out my
Webster's or search the Web for an explanation.

I hope this adds to the knowledge your are gaining.