Re: Single-sourcing DIDN'T work for me just now

Subject: Re: Single-sourcing DIDN'T work for me just now
From: Sean Brierley <seanb_us -at- yahoo -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 17 Sep 2003 13:07:47 -0700 (PDT)

It doesn't work all the time for everybody, just as my
WRX isn't the best car for everybody and not everybody
likes liver and onions.

So, I'd say what you take away from this is there are
absolutely never any absolutes when it comes to tech
writing workflows. <g>

Some people can't get their head around organization
and structure necessary to use single sourcing to save
time. Many projects don't benefit from single
sourcing; I have this one project where I essentially
turn an 800-page perfect leather-bound book into HTML
(well, sans the leather, of course, I include that
just to tell you the primary reason for this doc), and
I don't single source that effort. (I would single
source it *if* the project ever repeated, but it
doesn't ever repeat with the same content.)

Cheers,

Sean

--- "Downing, David" <DavidDowning -at- Users -dot- com> wrote:
> Here's an anecdote for all you folks who don't like
> single-sourcing. I'm currently writing a manual to
> document some software for which I wrote online help
> awhile back. So, I got the idea to recycle the text
> from the online help for part of the manual. After
> copying all the little chucks of text, which
> involved different secondary windows for different
> situations, and various other sort of
> multi-directional hypertext branching, then trying
> to organize this into a narrative passage suitable
> for a manual, I finally decided it was going to take
> me forever and give me a royal headache, so that I
> should just write the text from scratch, as it
> should be written for a manual.

archive -at- raycomm -dot- com