Re: Farewell

Subject: Re: Farewell
From: dmbrown -at- brown-inc -dot- com
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 22 Sep 2003 08:08:57 -0700

Sean Brierley wrote:

As an aside, it is kinda ugly to see technology folks
like technical writers not using firewalls, clicking
attachments willy-nilly, and generally permitting such
ugliness to continue.

I have to agree.

McAfee's reasonably priced VirusScan Online caught all but one of hundreds of virus-infected messages I've received over the last few days. It quarantined either the attached virus or the complete message.

Even the one that got through didn't hurt anything, because Netscape's free e-mail program never opens attachments, unless I double-click them.

The inexpensive hub/router I use includes a built-in firewall that makes my computers inaccessible to prowling "baddies."

The point is that there are a lot of pretty easy and affordable ways to protect yourself.

I can see changing your e-mail address, but quitting outright feels too much like letting the bad guys win.

--David

HTML Indexer 4 is still the easiest way to create and maintain indexes
for web sites, intranets, HTML Help, JavaHelp, and other HTML documents.

HTML Indexer 4 includes fully integrated cross-references, target frames
and windows, multiple-file output, "one-step accept" of default entries,
and more!

http://www.html-indexer.com/

archive -at- raycomm -dot- com