Re: Tests for a Contract TWing Opp.

Subject: Re: Tests for a Contract TWing Opp.
From: eric -dot- dunn -at- ca -dot- transport -dot- bombardier -dot- com
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 25 Sep 2003 14:15:56 -0400

My current gig required me to sit a written test. It involved copy editing,
procedure writing, writing a system functional description, and analysis of
engineering drawings and specs. I think you were allowed up to three hours.

After being shown to a cubicle by a member of the night staff, I took the test
in the evening), and being given the required materials I was left alone. 45
minutes later I went to the employees desk. They asked "You need to know where
the washrooms are?", I replied "No, I'd like to know where I leave this." as I
presented them with my completed test.

In a day or two, I was called to arrange an interview for the following day. The
supervisor, manager, and director were all there and I basically had to answer
two questions: "How did you finish so fast?" and "Can you start next Monday?"

That was seven years ago. Can't have been that bad a thing to sit the test .
And, the company seems to have avoided a lot of chaff as in later hiring periods
many "writers" either left early without completing the test or never finished
at all. Those that did finish were evaluated by the department editor and the
decision for interviews was made based on his recommendations to management.

Eric L. Dunn
Senior Technical Writer

archive -at- raycomm -dot- com