Re: Tech Writing Skills, College Degrees, Marketable Skills

Subject: Re: Tech Writing Skills, College Degrees, Marketable Skills
From: "Chuck Martin" <cm -at- writeforyou -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 26 Sep 2003 09:58:23 -0700

"Andrea Brundt" <andrea_w_brundt -at- hotmail -dot- com> wrote in message
news:214466 -at- techwr-l -dot- -dot- -dot-

> "I am a technical communicator. I use all tools available to me to get the
> right info to the right people at the right time."
>

> Nothing personal against you Technical Communicators out there, but I
always
> found the term a bit fluffy. "Communicator" is such a amorphous
word...could
> be a writer, could be a trainer, could be the device on your desk, could
be
> a circuit in that device...
>
> I always preferred writer (as in Goober Writer?). It works for the same
> reason Hunter-Gatherer works. Maybe because it smells of work rather than
> silos cleverly disguised as ivory towers.

Do you do more than writing? Many, if not most, of us do. Communication is
implicit in everything we document. More often than not--even in the 21st
century--we're creating documentation because the communication designed
into the product isn't clear. Written documentation is then deemed needed,
but it's a crutch propping up that bad design.

Chuck Martin

archive -at- raycomm -dot- com