Re: Ethical dilemma

Subject: Re: Ethical dilemma
From: "Paul Strasser" <paul -dot- strasser -at- windsor-tech -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 29 Sep 2003 10:49:45 -0600

Surfer wrote:
> Where I work we use electronic timesheets, and the only people who can
> "see" my timesheet are my me, my supervisor, and the accounting dept.

To which John Posada responded:

> uhm...because she doesn't work at the same place you do and they DON'T
have
> electronic timesheets?

This brings to mind one nagging problem with the original "Ethical dilemma"
post. Annette wrote, "I happened to find out that she charged her time as
if she were in the office..."

The wording is a bit coy, as if the method used to "happen to find out" was
less than open. If Annette had said, "In the course of my duties I see what
the other TW is working on via timesheets" or something along those lines
I'd be a lot more comfortable suggesting that she bring this matter up in a
benign sort of way. Instead, the above wording strongly suggests that the
method used to discover the questionable time billing was less than
straightforward. There are a lot of ways to "happen to find out"
something - and many of them aren't very proper.

If this is the case, don't bring it up. The only certainty of outcome is
that you'd be viewed as a snoop. Other outcomes - whether the charges were
legit, misunderstood by you, OK'd by management, or naughty - are
variables.

Paul Strasser
Windsor Technologies, Inc.
2569 Park Lane, Suite 200
Lafayette, Colorado 80026
Phone: 303-926-1982
FAX: 303-926-1510
E-mail: paul -dot- strasser -at- windsor-tech -dot- com

archive -at- raycomm -dot- com