Re: Ethical dilemma - WOW!!!

Subject: Re: Ethical dilemma - WOW!!!
From: Annette <annetteg4 -at- mac -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 29 Sep 2003 20:48:07 -0400

Hello all.

What a thread! Thought I would respond to a few of the comments:

>Is it Friday?
I wish!!!!

>her manager is approving the time sheets, it ain't nobody else's bidness.
My supervisor does not approve the time. She lets the secretary do it.

>Doesn't anyone else think that 4 weeks of sick time is odd?
We are very fortunate, I know.

>A question for you: why did you make this public knowledge?
I didn't consider this "public" knowledge. Other than my first name and
last initial, you
do not know who I am, where I live, or where I work. I did not mention the
other TW's name, etc.

>This brings to mind one nagging problem with the original "Ethical dilemma"
>post. Annette wrote, "I happened to find out that she charged her time as
>if she were in the office..." The wording is a bit coy, as if the
method used to "happen to find out" was
>less than open. If Annette had said, "In the course of my duties I see what
>the other TW is working on via timesheets" or something along those lines
>I'd be a lot more comfortable suggesting that she bring this matter up in a
>benign sort of way. Instead, the above wording strongly suggests that the
>method used to discover the questionable time billing was less than
>straightforward. There are a lot of ways to "happen to find out"
>something - and many of them aren't very proper.
LOL! Nothing quite so sinister. The other TW was out when time was due
to be entered.
She called a coworker and had that coworker enter her time for her.
That coworker mentioned it to me later in that day to confirm the number
that was used.

>Where I work we use electronic timesheets, and the only people who can
>"see" my timesheet are my me, my supervisor, and the accounting dept.
>So my first question is, how do you know how she is charging her time?
Our time reporting system has several reporting options that we can all
access.

>Seems like it's unethical to not say something. You know she's stealing
>from the company. If you say nothing, you are only helping her to do so.
>Moreover, I'm guessing that it's bugging you enough that it's starting to
>interfere somewhat with your job (you take note of when she comes in, when
>she takes lunch, when she gets back, when she leaves, etc.)
Our company's ethical policy states the following: Employees have a duty
to report
violations of the law and of our ethics policies. Part of my dilemma.

>Should. I've known co-writers to play hookey
>for an amount of time no smaller than is under
>discussion here and without awakening management's
>suspicion. Never assume competence, particularly
>among management.
My supervisor's competence is another horror story. There has already
been an "intervention" in the department, etc.

>That's not what make someone my friend. I know lots of people who like chili
>dogs and Bass beer and are Oakland Raiders fans, yet I would not consider
>them my friends on that basis. Friendship is based on respect and I would
>not consider anyone who has been
>counting my hours for almost 4 months as respectful.
True. But on the other hand, taking advantage of a situation, leaving
work undone
(that I have to complete) is not a good friend either. To be honest, I
have somewhat distanced myself from her because of this whole
thing.

But anyways, thanks to everyone who responded. I appreciate the wide variety
of responses and opinions. Who knows, maybe I will win the lottery this
weekend
and none of this will matter anymore!!!

Annette :)

archive -at- raycomm -dot- com