RE: Standards and Procedures

Subject: RE: Standards and Procedures
From: "Oja, W. Kelly" <w -dot- kelly -dot- oja -at- verizon -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 1 Oct 2003 07:27:43 -0500

Annette wrote:

>>Once again, I would like your opinion. For those that work with
company/ department standards (policies) and procedures, >>do you have a
numbering system for each individual standard/procedure? Why or why
not?

Annette, what you describe is a large aspect of my job. In the process
of revising current documentation I spoke with the users, and they
simply did not want a numbering system. Granted, I do number the major
steps, but did not number beyond that, i.e. 1.1, 2.3, 3.4.2, etc. I do
not like it, and luckily my readers do not like it either, otherwise I
would have bowed to their wishes.

IMHO, the only people who like numbering systems like 1.3, 2.5, 3.5.3
are usually engineers. I have received positive feedback on numbering
the major steps and using arrow symbols for the tasks within a
particular step. I have had to veer away from this method on a few
occasions, but did not use the above numbering system, but rather number
each one individually.

W. Kelly Oja
Verizon Airfone
Stay in Touch with Verizon Airfone JetConnect (sm)

competitive pricing or view a live demo at: http://www.ehelp.com/techwr-l3

archive -at- raycomm -dot- com