Re: Standards and Procedures

Subject: Re: Standards and Procedures
From: "CB Casper" <knowone -at- surfy -dot- net>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 01 Oct 2003 06:32:47 -0800

Annette asked:
>> Once again, I would like your opinion.
For those that work with company/department
standards (policies) and procedures, do
you have a numbering system for each individual
standard/procedure? Why or why not? <<

The old, "it depends" answer.

For the identification of the procedure,
number them, for as much as anyone would
like, eventually there will be more than
one with a similar name. Number them as
a previous poster indicated, by department
to keep things manageable.

If the numbering is intended to be used
for version control, just say NO. Since
electronic files are dated, use the most
recently dated doc as the governing one.
Establish a rule that only the one on
the internal web is the valid one, and
all paper copies are out of date unless
they match the online version date. This
eliminates the "Do I have the latest copy?"
problem. Otherwise someone has to keep track
of the version date AND the numbering to
continuously assure they are in sync AND
to keep the printed copy set up-to-date.

If the docs are distributed, updates are
sent out, old copies tossed or pages updated,
then provide them with a positive ROI idea
to go online only. It can save a heap of money.

CB - who likes saving heaps of money
--
http://www.surfy.net for Free Email <br> http://www.ergova.com for Low Prices on Hotels, Books, and more.