Re: Jobs going Overseas 2nd OT

Subject: Re: Jobs going Overseas 2nd OT
From: Dick Margulis <margulis -at- fiam -dot- net>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 01 Oct 2003 11:55:48 -0400

Brent P. Newhall wrote:

What do native, local TWs offer that can be seen as advantages over Indian
or otherwise outsourced technical writing? Here are a few:

Not sure what a native TW is. Could you be more specific?

* We're guaranteed to know the language

Not from evidence seen on this list (I'm not pointing my finger at your post, just making a general observation).

, and language comprehension (or
lack thereof) will be obvious much more quickly with a local TW than with
an outsourced one.

Really? Again, I have not seen any evidence of that. I think education is English is probably better in any of several other countries than it is in the US.

* It's easier to talk about the documentation's structure with a local TW.
When your customers start complaining about your online help, and you
realize you have to restructure it, which would you rather have: a local
live body to talk to, or an e-mail address?

Phones work. I got competent, prompt, tech support, in English, from Compaq (or maybe it was HP--I don't recall as it was for someone else's computer) on Christmas Day. The English was lightly accented, but Christmas is not a holiday in India. Worked for me, and the 800 number didn't cost me anything for the call.

* We're more immediately available to fix bugs. See something wrong? Tap
me on the shoulder and explain in your own words in fifteen seconds,
rather than spending five minutes composing an e-mail.

Tapping the random TW on the shoulder doesn't always produce the desired results. Email or phone is generally preferred by a lot of people. In any case, if you want to ensure clear and accurate communication, as the poster says, "don't say it, write it."

Can anyone think of any others?

I think you missed the point of Jim's original question (I'm sure Jim will correct me if I'm wrong). I think he was saying that a lot of development is moving to India and if we think creatively we can take advantage of that fact. I don't think he was saying, "Person the barricades!"

---
[This E-mail scanned for viruses at mail.fiam.net]

competitive pricing or view a live demo at: http://www.ehelp.com/techwr-l3

archive -at- raycomm -dot- com