RE: Ethical dilemma

Subject: RE: Ethical dilemma
From: "David Locke" <dlocke -at- texas -dot- net>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 2 Oct 2003 02:45:08 -0500

At my last employer, exempts were not just exempt from overtime pay, they
were exempt from the 40 work week as well. You were going to get fired for
failing to deliver the deliverable, not because you took a day off without
doing the paperwork.

I did go to this management class. One of the supervisors, a contractor who
managed a full-timer, was ranting about attendance. The rules for
contractors were normal in terms of work it, bill it, get paid. But, there
was never any discussion with them about their attendance either. They
worked when they wanted to and didn't when they didn't. Her rant was that
she couldn't get her manager, an exempt employee, to do anything about it.
Know the rules. They can be squirrelly.

I can also remember, at a different job, being told to forget about a week
and a half of vacation I took that was never subtracted from my totals. I
ended up spending that vacation in the office, but I was still on vacation,
aka not working. But, that was what the doc manager said. It was more
trouble to fix than it was worth.

Then, places have comp time policies as well. You have no way of knowing
what is going on. If a person was absent a lot, the manager should notice.

David Locke

competitive pricing or view a live demo at: http://www.ehelp.com/techwr-l3

archive -at- raycomm -dot- com