Re: Content vs. design: orphans

Subject: Re: Content vs. design: orphans
From: Dick Margulis <margulis -at- fiam -dot- net>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 02 Oct 2003 09:23:31 -0400

Peter Neilson wrote:

Dick likely remembers linotype machines and maybe hand-set type. The guys
who did that work were the final gods of authority on what went into
print. To control widows and orphans they would simply omit words. They
felt that the authors never noticed. We should be thankful that we now
have a bit more control of content.

Peter,

While it's true that I've set type in a composing stick and have never actually operated a Linotype, I'm not quite old enough to _predate_ the Linotype ;-)

The kind of on-the-fly editing you refer to was done almost exclusively for headlines, captions (title above a picture), and cutlines (legends below a picture) in newspaper composition. I've never heard of its being done in running text and to the best of my knowledge it was never a common practice in commercial (i.e., non-newspaper) composition.

Dick

---
[This E-mail scanned for viruses at mail.fiam.net]

competitive pricing or view a live demo at: http://www.ehelp.com/techwr-l3