Re: Content vs. design: orphans

Subject: Re: Content vs. design: orphans
From: Dick Margulis <margulis -at- fiam -dot- net>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 02 Oct 2003 11:43:46 -0400

Dianna,

InDesign has the most sophisticated H&J algorithm ever released in a desktop application. You can bump up the number of lines it looks back, which means the application will take a lot longer to compose the document, but you'll get the results you want automatically. I don't know the details of how to set weights and priorities on your preferences, but you should be able to find it in help. If not, ask in comp.graphics.applications.pagemaker; someone there will be able to give you detailed guidance.

Dick

Dianna Bearce wrote:

Thanks for all the feedback I've received so far.

Just to clarify the situation, there are no problems with bad page breaks. The only issue is with short (1- or 2-word) lines at the end of paragraphs.

I'm using Adobe InDesign. It has widow/orphan controls to keep a certain number of lines from paragraphs on the same page, but I haven't found a way to automatically control the one-word lines. If anyone knows of any way to do this, I'd appreciate your tips.

---
[This E-mail scanned for viruses at mail.fiam.net]

competitive pricing or view a live demo at: http://www.ehelp.com/techwr-l3

archive -at- raycomm -dot- com