RE: Auto-clearing the cache (WAS Stupid users)

Subject: RE: Auto-clearing the cache (WAS Stupid users)
From: "Mike Hiatt" <mhiatt -at- vocaldata -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 3 Oct 2003 15:43:50 -0500

The default for IE is not to check for new content each time but to used the cached version to speed up loading web pages.

We faced this issued with an program for administering our telephony switch using Java applets in a web browser. In our Introduction chapter where we talked about requirements for the Administrator's PC, we advised them where to go (in IE and NS) to set their browser settings to check for new every time so that when they were using the admin they didn't get cached pages and got the new ones from the admin server. Otherwise, someone else could have made a change to a page they had previously cached and they wouldn't know about it.

Fortunately, we're now moving to using Java Web Start to download a Java application and supporting database to the administrator's PC, which eliminates the need for checking the page each time. As soon as we move our corporate switch off the previous version of the admin software, I'll reset my browser and speed things up. But not until then.

Mike Hiatt
Manager, Tech Pubs
VocalData, Inc.
Dallas, TX (yep, that one)