Re: credibility (longish but IMO worth reading)

Subject: Re: credibility (longish but IMO worth reading)
From: "Gene Kim-Eng" <techwr -at- genek -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 10 Oct 2003 10:15:45 -0700

<Applause, applause>

This is a point I have tried to make in every position I've had as a
technical communicator, i.e., that documentation, in whatever form
it takes, needs to be an integral part of the product and not just an
accessory that gets shoved into the carton at the last minute. In a
number of cases, the most difficulty I have had achieving buy-in
on this has actually come from the technical writers themselves,
who have looked at things like online/embedded help and lean
documentation as threats to their Framemaker-to-printed doc
existences rather than opportunities to root themselves firmly into
the product development process.

Gene Kim-Eng