Re: credibility (longish but IMO worth reading)

Subject: Re: credibility (longish but IMO worth reading)
From: "Gene Kim-Eng" <techwr -at- genek -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 10 Oct 2003 10:28:23 -0700

During the IC boom of the 70's, I saw very similar comments in the ASME
(American Society of Mechanical Engineers) journal (complaining about
the lack of glory provided to the *mechanical* engineers who were the ones
who actually figured out how to manufacture all those whiz-bang ICs). Right
after the first space shuttle disaster, I saw similar comments made in reports
about the NASA and Thiokol management who ignored the concerns of their
own engineers about launching in a number of aerospace engineering journals.
And if you *really* want to hear from professions that feel they get no respect,
spend some time with manufacturing or occupational safety engineers from just
about any industry you can think of. In every industry there are professionals
who feel that they're "invisible," and "ignored," and nobody likes it much. The
important thing is to not spend a lot of time whining about it, because that's
*not*
the kind of visibility that's going to do us any good at all.

Gene Kim-Eng