Basic structure question

Subject: Basic structure question
From: "Lulu TW" <lulutw -at- hotmail -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 16 Oct 2003 11:51:44 +0200

Hi all,

I'm returning to tech writing after a sabbatical, and although I'm finding that most of the necessary info is still lodged somewhere in the grey matter, I'm having problems with a basic structuring issue.
The problem is this:
I'm writing an Admin Guide, and one section is wholly taken up with creating an object. Now, to create this object, you just open a tool, select the object, and the object creation dialog box appears. In this dialog box, there's 13 different property fields to be set...but, explaining each property involves major discussion of what it is, whjat it does, how to manage it etc (going up to five or six pages worth of description in some cases). So...I'm wondering whether to describe and explain each property separetly first before explaining the object creation procedure, or whether to describe and explain each property sequentially as it is displayed in the object creation dialog box, with all the interruptions to the object creation procedure that this would involve.

What do you guys reckon?

Thanks,

Lulu

competitive pricing or view a live demo at: http://www.ehelp.com/techwr-l3