Re: Adobe adds product activation

Subject: Re: Adobe adds product activation
From: Bruce Byfield <bbyfield -at- axionet -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 21 Oct 2003 10:14:13 -0700

Quoting Andrew Plato <gilliankitty -at- yahoo -dot- com>:

> While I do not have direct access to such data, my sources tell me that
> there has been no significant change in market share with the introduction of
> activation.

Interesting, if true. But I suspect that companies also need to be concerned
that the negative publicity surrounding the issue might affect market share.

It also occurs to me that the statement cuts both ways. If activation did
anything, then wouldn't there be an increase in sales after activation was
introduced? So, even if activation doesn't affect sales, it may still be a
waste of resources.

> Furthermore, changes in market share are much more likely due to product
> features than activation. In general, organizations do not make purchasing
> decisions based on the specifics of licensing. They make it based on price
> and
> capability. Licensing is an afterthought.

I'm not so sure about that. Changes in licensing schemes have produced
statistics that suggest that many organizations have reconsidered buying
products as a result.

However, I've yet to see figures about whether organizations actually didn't
buy as a result of licensing changes, so who knows?

Personally, I suspect that the open source tools wouldn't have made such
inroads if licensing didn't have an effect. Many executives equate free with
poor quality, so something must have happened to overcome this prejudice.

--
Bruce Byfield bbyfield -at- axionet -dot- com 604-421.7177

archive -at- raycomm -dot- com