Re: end user vs end-user

Subject: Re: end user vs end-user
From: Dick Margulis <margulis -at- fiam -dot- net>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 24 Oct 2003 11:10:29 -0400

Chris Gooouich wrote:

Dick Margilius wrote:

++
I question the need for the word _end_; why not just _user_? I cannot think
of a single circumstance in which "end user" conveys more information than
"user."
++

I work for a company that sells software components (i.e., an API)
to other software companies.

Our customers use our software toolkit to create end-user software
which is used by end users. In this situation "user" would be too vague.

Chris,

The solution is that your customer is "you" and their customers are users. Admittedly, I'm talking about the USian preference for using active voice, direct address, imperative mood, in user doc, and also our preference for economy of language.The UKian preference for passive voice, third person, indicative mood, and greater verbosity may dictate a different solution for you.

Dick

---
[This E-mail scanned for viruses at mail.fiam.net]

lets you easily single-source content to online Help, intranet, and Web. The interface is designed for FrameMaker users, so there is little or no
learning curve and no macro language required! Call 800-718-4407 for competitive pricing or download a trial at: http://www.ehelp.com/techwr-l4

archive -at- raycomm -dot- com