Re: Can't search the PDF file. (Happier day)

Subject: Re: Can't search the PDF file. (Happier day)
From: Emily Berk <emily -at- armadillosoft -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 24 Oct 2003 19:39:10 -0700

Hi Dick:

Please see embedded.

At 12:38 PM 10/24/03 -0400, Dick Margulis wrote:
>Emily Berk wrote a long and enjoyable rant that I've deleted.

Glad that you enjoyed it. And crushed that you failed to take steps to preserve it forever. Guess that's why I'm proud to count Google as my friend.

>A couple of us have suggested that you look at the fonts being used, and--forgive me if I've missed it--I don't think you've responded to those comments.

I thought I had sent an email to this list when I was finally able to create a searchable PDF from the FM files.

If I did not, my apologies!

But anyway, the problem is solved. Unfortunately for me, it was solved 24 hours after I'd submitted the final document.

In order to generate a searchable PDF:

1. I updated my Distiller at the very helpful suggestion of Shlomo Perets (this did not solve the problem);
2. AND then I turned a few cartwheels and did a few handsprings. (and after each cartwheel, I tried searching, and eventually, after I did a few of these, the problem was solved.)

I believe the consensus is that the cause of the problem was indeed a Korean font. However, because not one stroke of even one Korean character is visible in the doc, this is just a theory.

The Korean font might have been incorporated into my FM doc because it might have been hidden in a Word doc provided to me by a Korean SME who, although he was writing entirely in English, also used Word to write Korean documents sometimes.

The SME did not deliberately incorporate the Korean font into the doc he gave me and neither he nor I knew that the font was there.

I did post several questions to the Framers list about how to remove this invisible font. However, lacking a degree in nuclear physics, the answers I got were not parsable by me.

But the gist of them, I believe, was that removing the invisible font was either not possible or not the answer (or maybe both). And, indeed, this did prove to be the case. Far as I can tell. Unless the mysterious new distiller combined with at least one of the cartwheels, removed the invisible font for me.

As for specifics of my system -- irrelevant, I believe, except maybe for the distiller version, but I've overwritten it so I can't tell you what it was.

AND, just replacing the distiller version did not solve the problem by itself at least.

Thanks to everyone in the group for all your suggestions.

--Emily

~ Emily Berk ~
~ Looking for challenging, new projects ~
~ www.armadillosoft.com *** Armadillo Associates, Inc. ~
~ Internet and non-Internet application development, ~
~ project management, developer relations and ~
~ extremely-technical technical documentation that ~
~ developers find useful. ~

archive -at- raycomm -dot- com