Re: Can't search the PDF file. (Happier day)

Subject: Re: Can't search the PDF file. (Happier day)
From: Emily Berk <emily -at- armadillosoft -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 24 Oct 2003 09:26:48 -0700

Hi Guys:

I am on FM 7 with Acrobat 5 and just downloaded the new driver Shlomo recommended. My colleague who had the recent problem with Save as PDF just got a FM 7 CD and an Acrobat 6 CD from Adobe and it's possible he may not have installed the latest drivers.

Don't you think it's kind of odd that after I've spent:

Approx. $1200 on my original version of FM (maybe 5.2)
Approx. $850 or so to upgrade it every two years or so, so that I am now up to FM 7

Nothing on Acrobat -- 3 -- I won it at a contest, but then I've been
paying to upgrade it slowly to Acrobat 5 and use Acrobat 6 at work...

And that means I've put at least 5 solid years and at least $3000 into using these tools....

And by the way all I am attempting to do is to publish a document that was written in Word in ENGLISH and edited in FM in ENGLISH and Printed to Distiller in ENGLISH as a PDF in ENGLISH ...

Don't you think that I should be able to go File, Save As, PDF and have that PDF have all the features that sure typical PDF might have such as be searchable

WITHOUT HAVING TO TAKE A COURSE IN ACROBAT first?

I mean, I can go into Word (and I have not invested anywhere near as much money or time in Word as I have in Adobe products) Save As PDF and get my searchable PDF in seconds with out Shlomo's help.

Sheesh.

And the point is, my difficulties with producing searchable PDFs from FM have driven a final nail into the coffin of me being allowed to use FM at work, which was something I was actually making some progress on. I really was -- am -- on Adobe's side.

--Emily, who is emphatically NOT the only one who had problems in 5.5.6, 6.0 or 7 Saving As PDF from FM and who is emphatically not the only one who's had problems producing searchable PDFs.

At 08:08 AM 10/24/03 -0700, Goober Writer wrote:
>Something definitely doesn't sound right here. Emily,
>can you provide details on your platform, install, and
>driver configuration? Order of install is important
>too. It doesn't sound like you're set up correctly.

>And, FWIW, I agree with Sean. Save-As works in FM 7,
>more reliably than in previous versions. And, you
>should have your workflow ironed out pre-project, as
>Sean mentions, to avoid such issues.

>I publish from FM for print, PDF, and online Help from
>FM source in 18 languages. Each language type has its
>own snag, so you need to test and prepare for problem
>spots so, when knee-deep in a project, they don't hold
>you back. But, as I said, I publish in 18 different
>languages. It's entirely possible, and the things you
>need to account for are minimal. And, most of what you
>need is documented in FM's online manuals. The rest is
>easily accessible via Google.

>--- Sean Brierley <seanb_us -at- yahoo -dot- com> wrote:
>> I don't know why this failed for your colleague.
>> And, Save as was reliable for me in 5.5.6 and 6--though,
>> I agree it could be troublesome. And, I understand the
>> pain of something going awry at the last minute--PDFing is something you should test and set
>> up ahead of time.

>> And, agreed, I don't work with Asian characters or
>> any non-Latin stuff.

>> All of this is to say, I don't think your
>> experiences should be projected to everyone, globally. Have you
>> ever taken a class in using Acrobat, for example
>> knowhowpro.com or one of Shlomo's? Doing so might
>> save you a bunch of time, effort, money, and grief.

~ Emily Berk ~
~ Looking for challenging, new projects ~
~ www.armadillosoft.com *** Armadillo Associates, Inc. ~
~ Internet and non-Internet application development, ~
~ project management, developer relations and ~
~ extremely-technical technical documentation that ~
~ developers find useful. ~

archive -at- raycomm -dot- com