RE: Fear of certification (was:Definition of Engineer )(was: What to do?)

Subject: RE: Fear of certification (was:Definition of Engineer )(was: What to do?)
From: "Giordano, Connie" <Connie -dot- Giordano -at- FMR -dot- COM>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 31 Oct 2003 13:19:04 -0500

No other communications profession is as frightened of the concept of
certification/accreditation as technical communications seems to be.
Licensing is a completely different issue, and I haven't seen any really
credible arguments for why it would be necessary. At the same time, every
argument I've heard against certification has been full holes and rather
pathetic scare tactics.

1) Technical writing is too broad to be able to provide certification. Horse
hockey--Business Communications is an even broader profession and the IABC
has a very credible, very arduous certification process. Same with public
relations and PRSA. And ASTD is quickly moving in that direction for
training.

2) Certification will take away jobs from qualified writers: Horse hockey
again. Certification in other communications profession is voluntary, and
is not a job requirement in marketing, PR, corporate communications,
training, or employee communications. How do I know? I have PR
accreditation, but I've held jobs in all of these other professions with
nary an eyebrow raised at lack of certification in other fields, nor have I
ever been denied a communications job for lack of IABC accreditation. Last
time I checked, employers generally try to find some (frequently
ineffective) means of screening incompetent or unqualified employees out.
Degrees, job titles, tool sets and scores on some weird psychological tests
are examples. None of them are completely effective or ineffective.
Accreditation is just another means, but not the only means, to get a feel
for an applicant's ability. Remember half the people with M.D. attached to
their names graduated in the bottom half of their class. Doesn't
necessarily make em' bad doctors.

3) Certification just an excuse for exclusivity: no more so than a graduate
degree, or country club membership. As near as I can tell all of the
serious discussion related to accreditation in technical communications has
never even born mention of not being allowed to associated with
non-accredited professionals. Of course John Posada could fill me in if I
missed something on that score. There is a discussion list devoted to
hashing out the pros and cons of certification/accreditation, and not all
the list members are in agreement on whether it should even be
attempted--hard to believe ain't it ;)

What thinning of the ranks? Moving the jobs offshore doesn't thin the
ranks, it provides opportunities to aspiring professionals in other parts of
the world at what is perceived by the offshoring company to be reduced
costs. Don't know if that particular perception will be realized, but the
jury is still out on that one. I think it's the height of arrogance to be
insulted or frightened by the prospect of other communicators joining our
little world.

Many of the people I've known who've gone through a certification process
haven't done so to try to improve their social circles or their pay scales,
and probably would be miserable failures if that were the reason. They've
done it to test themselves against accepted best practices, to improve their
abilities and knowledge, to shore up self-confidence or to explore related
aspects of their professions. Doesn't sound like such a half bad idea to me.
Will it prevent incompetents from entering the profession? Absolutely not.
Will it stop off-shoring? Not bloody likely, as long as companies see
improvement in the bottom line. It's a path to establishing professional
standards for yourself, and quite possibly for the whole field. It sure
isn't anything to be afraid of.

Connie P. Giordano
Senior Technical Writer
Advisor Technology Services
A Fidelity Investments Company
704-330-2069 (w)
704-330-2350 (f)
704-957-8450 (c)
connie -dot- giordano -at- fmr -dot- com

"Pray that there's intelligent life somewhere up in space, 'cause I'm afraid
that we've been cheated here on Earth" - Clint Black "Galaxy Song"