Re: English major as TW prerequisite?

Subject: Re: English major as TW prerequisite?
From: Al Geist <al -dot- geist -at- geistassociates -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Sun, 02 Nov 2003 12:56:11 -0800

David Sullivan asked if anyone else has "found that not having an English degree has hurt them some time in their career." Since my degree is in Journalism, and I have been writing for the last 20 years, mostly writing technical stuff, I would have to say that having not having a degree in English didn't hurt me one bit. In fact, my years working as an engineering technician and application engineer, prior to taking up technical writing, have helped me more to get a gig than any writing degree, English or journalism. With that said, I am glad I have a degree in journalism, because it helped me get revenue flowing through the front door during those times when the technical writing industry was in a bust cycle.

--

Al Geist, Geist Associates
From Concept to Completion

lets you easily single-source content to online Help, intranet, and Web. The interface is designed for FrameMaker users, so there is little or no
learning curve and no macro language required! Call 800-718-4407 for competitive pricing or download a trial at: http://www.ehelp.com/techwr-l4

archive -at- raycomm -dot- com