Re: IMPROVING WRITERS' EFFICIENCY

Subject: Re: IMPROVING WRITERS' EFFICIENCY
From: Dick Margulis <margulis -at- fiam -dot- net>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 06 Nov 2003 11:59:45 -0500

Goober Writer wrote:

OK, I wrote a 10 page intro doc over the last 14
weeks. How productive was I? Granted, in that time I
also completed 15 other projects and sat in about 40
hours worth of unrelated meetings. How productive was
I?

If you finish it to an acceptable quality level in four days instead of putting a
museum-quality sheen on it in five days, you've gone from 0.20 documents per
day to 0.25 documents per day, which is a 25% improvement in
productivity.

Again, you're using one unit of measure, which works
for 100% work involvement, but is not the rule, only a
model that *can* fit the rule under certain conditions.

Don't put words in my mouth. In the real world of resource utilization planning, if your 16 projects were all of a similar scale (in terms of work required), then one-sixteenth of an FTE was devoted to each of them over the 14-week period. So you were producing at the rate of one document in 0.875 weeks, no matter how long the total elapsed time was. Could you have completed 20 projects in the same total elapsed time if deadlines had been arranged and inputs were fully available to you so that you could do them sequentially (start and finish one project before taking on the next)? I don't know the answer to that, but if so, then your productivity would have improved significantly.

---
[This E-mail scanned for viruses at mail.fiam.net]

lets you easily single-source content to online Help, intranet, and Web. The interface is designed for FrameMaker users, so there is little or no
learning curve and no macro language required! Call 800-718-4407 for competitive pricing or download a trial at: http://www.ehelp.com/techwr-l4

archive -at- raycomm -dot- com