Re: Seeking something like "The Elements of Technical Illustration"

Subject: Re: Seeking something like "The Elements of Technical Illustration"
From: Isaac Rabinovitch <isaacr -at- mailsnare -dot- net>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 06 Nov 2003 12:30:56 -0800

Susan Purcell wrote:

I couldn't agree more about Frame's tools. Arrrrggggh.
I learned Illustrator years ago, when I was doing hardware doc,
but am stuck with Frame tools now. It's like going from a
Mercedes to a Geo...no, actually, I can't think of any car that
could be that frustrating. Well, maybe a Model T, one of those
in Charlie Chaplin movies.

Watch it! The Model T still has a loyal user base! Although the car itself has been out of production since 1928, you can still get parts for it. Which ought to tell you something, both about user loyalty and the design of the car itself. Read what Steinbeck says about the Model T in "Cannery Row" and you'll get some idea of the loyalty this particular car inspires.

OK, back ontopic. My favorite technical illustration tool is Visio. I have a prejudice in favor of tools that emphasize information, as opposed to artistic flourish. (Anybody remember IntelliDraw?) Visio is very good this way, and is highly extensible besides. SmartDraw is OK, if you don't need to do anything complicated. The drawing tools built into Word are also pretty good, though not enough so to make Word a decent tech writer's tool.

lets you easily single-source content to online Help, intranet, and Web. The interface is designed for FrameMaker users, so there is little or no
learning curve and no macro language required! Call 800-718-4407 for competitive pricing or download a trial at: http://www.ehelp.com/techwr-l4

archive -at- raycomm -dot- com