Re: Has anyone used this PDF writer

Subject: Re: Has anyone used this PDF writer
From: "Peter Ring" <prc -at- prc -dot- dk>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 10 Nov 2003 11:51:00 +0100

Robert J. Dianetti wrote:

> I found what looks like a great tool on the internet for creating
> PDFs from just about any application. Its called pdf995. You can see it at
> www.pdf995.com. The download is free if you don't mind popup advertisements.
> If you don't want the popups, you can pay them 19.95 and they go away.
>
> Has anyone used this? I've been playing with it this morning and looks
> great.

I have recently tested pdf995 and some of its competitors for potential use with my
AcosHelp (context sensitive online help with PDF-files) project. At first glance it did a
nice job, but when I went through the whole document (I used the 65 pages AcosHelp
Manager manual written in MS Word as test object) it created some headings with
wr o ng spa ci ng inside and between words. Furthermore, it can't create internal
links in the PDF-document from the internal links or the TOC in the Word document.

It consequently has almost the same qualities and problems as many of the other
non-Adobe PDF-makers There are at least fifty of them, just check www.tucows.com
and search for PDF!

Some of the other clones created raster (bitmap) images of the printed pages incl.
the text. Nice, but not always good enough for the purpose. For example they cannot
be searched. Another clone had problems with converting the automatically
generated TOC. And so on.

Conclusion: So far I have only seen Adobe Acrobat 6 do the job really properly.

Greetings from Denmark
Peter Ring, PRC
The user-friendly manuals website: http://www.prc.dk/user-friendly-manuals/
AcosHelp (context sensitive online help with PDF-files): http://www.acoshelp.com