Re: Yahoo Groups Spam?

Subject: Re: Yahoo Groups Spam?
From: Keri Morgret <kerilists -at- morgret -dot- net>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 12 Nov 2003 10:25:46 -0800

David,

I do see your point, yet still do not like flashy HTML messages in my inbox assuming that I am interested in something. I would have felt much better about the group if the owner / moderator had posted a message to Techwr-l (or Copyediting-l, if that was the source of my email address) inviting interested parties to join the list, and giving us some background and information about the list.

One other person indicated it could well have been a virus - how many emails a day do we get that supposedly come from Microsoft, asking us to click here to download the latest patch? As a rule, any email I receive telling me to click on this link to find out more about something generally gets trashed. I am aware that the list is mirrored and our emails are harvested. Why then would someone send email to us directly when it is likely to get deleted, instead of sending a more informative message to the list?

Keri Morgret

At 10:16 AM 11/12/2003, David Neeley wrote:

Keri,

Why do you consider such an invitation as "spam"? There are many tech writers who *do* write computer books--whether they are published by commercial book publishers or manuals accompanying software applications.

Persistant invitations to join a particular mail list would indeed qualify as "spam" IMHO, but a single one to announce such a group to those that are interested seems hardly to rise to that level.

There is plenty of "commercial, unsolicited email" that fits the definition of "spam"--but how does a free email list fit within that definition?

Methinks you have simply overreacted.

David

lets you easily single-source content to online Help, intranet, and Web. The interface is designed for FrameMaker users, so there is little or no
learning curve and no macro language required! Call 800-718-4407 for competitive pricing or download a trial at: http://www.ehelp.com/techwr-l4

archive -at- raycomm -dot- com