Re: Offshoring: San Jose Mercury News article

Subject: Re: Offshoring: San Jose Mercury News article
From: David Neeley <dbneeley -at- oddpost -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 12 Nov 2003 10:30:26 -0800 (PST)

Chris,

In my opinion, you simply *cannot* make such a statement that is seemingly so all-encompassing.

For example, cars are about as "commoditized" as you can get--yet their quality in terms of durability and safety is far, far above what it was only a decade or so ago. Good kitchen knives and cookware--which until recently was beyond the reach of those with average income, ditto. Flashlight batteries, computers and computer components--truly, these are only off the top of my head. There are tens of thousands of additional examples.

True, many things suffer from commoditization. We have not yet found a way to "de-humanize" writing (thank God!) or the creation of art...(but judging from what some people are *calling* "art" these days, we might as well try).

I believe that what many folks are truly upset about is not so much the commoditization that has allowed an increase in the standard of living for millions, but the *depersonalization* that so often accompanies it.

I believe in using the best tools available for any given need. If a "commoditized" item fits, that's fine. If not, not. Years ago, I found that I could not wear the inexpensive mechanical watches that were common during my teens and early twenties--they simply expired quickly. So, in college, I paid a little each week to buy a simple steel Rolex. Now, thirty years later, it needs its second overhaul. Of course, the "officially certified chronometer" has never, ever run accurately for long--but within a minute or two is generally adequate. Were I buying today, I would likely buy an electronic one--but I'd first do my research into the various movements and quality levels first. Of course, if I did that, I'd probably have to put up with correct time!

David

-----Original Message from Chris Despopoulos <cud -at- telecable -dot- es>-----

"And when you remove the humanity from the product, you get a commodity and the quality goes
down. But hey, if that's what you want to buy, that's your business. Me, I'll stick with my Swiss watch, and try to keep it going for the rest of my life. I don't like a world full of disposable crap."

archive -at- raycomm -dot- com