Re: How the world becomes wealthier (was Re: Offshoring: San Jose Mercury News article)

Subject: Re: How the world becomes wealthier (was Re: Offshoring: San Jose Mercury News article)
From: David Neeley <dbneeley -at- oddpost -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 12 Nov 2003 10:40:49 -0800 (PST)

David,

And excuse *me* but your "proof" regarding "Reagonomics" is a common but distressingly naive view of economics. The Reagan tax cuts created the fundamental economics that allowed tremendous expansion throughout the economy. Employment actually *did* rise during his Presidency--and quite substantially. Likewise, the cost of money dropped precipitously. Do you not remember the 20% prime rate during the Carter years immediately preceding Reagan? And how it dropped by three-fourths in the first several years of his tenure in office?

Employment is *always* a "lagging indicator" in any economic recovery. Here in Dallas, for instance, there have been more tech writer listings in the last thirty days than there have been during the preceding year.

As you should know if you've been in the profession for long, tech writers are often the first laid off and the last hired during the many cycles in technology--which itself is the most cyclical of all industries in the economy.

I have been employed only sporadically for a few days here and there for the past two and a half years. However, I anticipate that condition being over very quickly now...but I am not blaming forces over which I have no control, merely working to create the most marketable professional I can. (I assure you, being 54 does *not* help!).

David

archive -at- raycomm -dot- com