Re: Did they really mean ,,, ? Colour blind or plain insensitive?

Subject: Re: Did they really mean ,,, ? Colour blind or plain insensitive?
From: "KG Kumar" <kg -at- tug -dot- org -dot- in>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 19 Nov 2003 11:41:34 -0500

On Tue, 18 Nov 2003 23:06:27 -0500, Bonnie Granat wrote

> A "knockout" question? Lots of people are color blind. It happens. I
> meant no offense. One explanation for confusion might have been that
> the poster was color-blind. That's why I asked the question.

I'm truly sorry for raking this up, Bonnie, and apologies to you personally
and to the list for sounding needlessly peevish. It's obvious from your
subsequent posts that you meant no offense at all and had asked the question
in good faith and out of a sense of responsibility. It's just that on first
reading, your initial question seemed rather abrubt and insensitive. Perhaps
it could have been phrased in a more gentle fashion. In an age when "short"
ought to be "vertically challenged" and "fat" should be "adipose enhanced",
to question someone's colour blindness (or any other physical/mental
challenge) appeared to be politically incorrect. But you're absolutely right -
- these are facts of life that can't be wished away and ought to be faced.

Once again, apologies for raising a storm in a teacup.

-----
KG Kumar
kg at tug dot org dot in

archive -at- raycomm -dot- com