re: Seeking references for self-reporting bias in surveys

Subject: re: Seeking references for self-reporting bias in surveys
From: Sean Hower <hokumhome -at- freehomepage -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 19 Nov 2003 08:50:47 -0800 (PST)

-----------------------------
Eric Ray asked:
Basically, I'd like an objective source to point to about
survey bias, rather than trying to coherently recount
my dimly remembered information from psych classes many
years ago.
-----------------------------

I remember doing some research on surveys for my honors thesis. I checked my bibliography and this was the only reference in it:

Dillman, Don A
1991 The Design and Administration of Mail Surveys. In Annual Review o
Sociology. 17: 225-249.

If you can scare up that paper, it should have a bibliography in it that you can use as a starting point. I also did a quick googling of "survey self selection" and one of the hits was this

http://www.ttra.com/pub/uploads/009.pdf

but I don't know how useful it would be.

Sean Hower - tech writer
http://hokum.freehomepage.com

Create your own web site for FREE at http://www.freehomepage.com

archive -at- raycomm -dot- com