Re: RE: Compensation and productivity?

Subject: Re: RE: Compensation and productivity?
From: Sean Hower <hokumhome -at- freehomepage -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Sat, 8 Nov 2003 17:35:18 -0800 (PST)

Yeah, in this book, the author brings in Maslow to explain differences in generations of Americans starting from the Depression. It's an interesting discussion, but I can't say how valid it is yet because I haven't finished reading it.

Sean Hower - tech writer
http://hokum.freehomepage.com

--- Susan W.Gallagher <sgallagher5 -at- cox -dot- net> wrote:
There's some notable research on what motivates us.
Particularly, the hierarcy of needs developed by Abraham
Maslow in the 1950s. (see http://www.ship.edu/~cgboeree/maslow.html for more info).

According to Maslow, we humans have certain basic needs that
we work to fulfill, but once the need is filled, it ceases
to be motivational. (e.g., physiological needs such as food
are motivational if you are hungry, but once the hunger is
sated, food ceases to be motivational).

So, according to Maslow, it isn't who you are or why you were
hired so much as what you want and need that
provides motivation. That means that money is only a
motivator if you don't have enough to fulfill your needs.

Interesting stuff, motivation, and a very complex issue.

Create your own web site for FREE at http://www.freehomepage.com

archive -at- raycomm -dot- com