Re: What job did you have before you became a technical communicator?

Subject: Re: What job did you have before you became a technical communicator?
From: "G. Abenhaim" <g -dot- abenhaim -at- nhc -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 24 Nov 2003 09:34:57 -0500

hi,

Before I was a Tech Communicator, I was a QA Tech support and Training
manager in the aerospace industry. We manufactured "airplane" parts and in
that job I did everything from coding to testing to writing specifications,
standards, training manuals and inspecting parts. I had this job through
Cegep and when I graduated from University with an English degree it is then
that I decided to pursue a career as a Tech Communicator. So far, Ive been
doing it for years and I love it. AT first, it was hard to determine what
part of the job that I liked. So I laid down all the tasks that I did and
determined which ones I liked and it came to down to "writing". I took a
tech writing course and became an "expert" through the years and experience.
I worked my way up from the bottom to the top... It is best that way because
you end up learning about all the aspects of the job from planning,
scheduling, organizing priorities, milestones, deliverables etc..Also
getting familiar with the Engineering dept as well as the engineers.

/G

archive -at- raycomm -dot- com