Re: A data point on offshoring

Subject: Re: A data point on offshoring
From: "Mike O." <obie1121 -at- yahoo -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 24 Nov 2003 10:02:01 -0500

Rick Bishop wrote:
> No doubt there are many such. I just bought a $3k Dell
> and the monitor appeared to be DOA. 1st call was to
> helpdesk with strange accent.

This is nothing new, and has nothing to do with offshoring, accents, or
nationalities. I've had the same experience with US-based help desks.
Customer service for all consumer products has been engaged in a a race to
the bottom for years, and I think they are finally nearing the finish line.
Even in person, it's equally useless. Ever try to get customer service at a
superstore? The best defense is to adapt. Accept the fact that customer
service has essentially disappeared, and learn to shop wisely and fix stuff
yourself when it breaks.

If you want primo customer service for your PC, go to a local screwdriver
shop that's been around for a while and have them build you one. You'll be
on a first-name basis with the owner, and you will be supporting a local
business.

Better yet, assemble the PC yourself and never pay support or repair bills
again. Or buy used, and upgrade and maintain it yourself. The market is
flooded with high-quality offlease equipment right now.

Mike O.

archive -at- raycomm -dot- com