Re: A data point on offshoring

Subject: Re: A data point on offshoring
From: Kat Nagel <mlists -at- masterworkconsulting -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 24 Nov 2003 14:02:25 -0500

At 08:37 AM -0600 2003-11-24, Rick Bishop wrote:

No doubt there are many such. I just bought a $3k Dell
[depressing outsourced tech support story deleted]
Luckily, I know someone at Dell engineering, so I called
him. He put me on hold for about 5 min while he got the
answer from someone there in Austin.
What do you do if you don't know someone at the
home office? Are we going back to the mom and pop
shop up the street?

That's what I did for my latest Windows computer.

After shepherding a couple of my computer coaching clients through tech support hell with Gateway, HP/Compaq, and Sony, I decided I never wanted to suffer through anything like that with my own stuff. For clients, sure. It's all billable hours <g>. But NOT for myself.

I dropped in on a local build/service shop, and in 20 minutes had designed my almost-dream system (as close to the dream as I could afford at the moment). The system was ready 48 hours later, set up and running in the showroom so I could see everything working before taking it home. For an additional $40 they would have delivered and set it up in my office. And when I had a problem with an upgraded driver for my old monitor, a local phone call got me connected to the technician who built the system and he talked me through a fairly short troubleshooting procedure that solved the problem.

<contented sigh>
--
K@ Kat Nagel

.

lets you easily single-source content to online Help, intranet, and Web. The interface is designed for FrameMaker users, so there is little or no
learning curve and no macro language required! Call 800-718-4407 for competitive pricing or download a trial at: http://www.ehelp.com/techwr-l4

archive -at- raycomm -dot- com