Re: Documenting unix utilites

Subject: Re: Documenting unix utilites
From: bcliver -at- manu -dot- com
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 2 Dec 2003 07:53:18 -0500

Hi Beth,

What flavor of UNIX are you using? HP, AIX, and Solaris are common, and
the differences among them are subtle.

>Hi everyone,
>
>Some administrative tasks involve going into more than one utility to
perform a task, so I'd like to
>document it by utility. (Good idea?)

Yes, a reasonable idea. I recommend that you run the utilities yourself on
a UNIX machine or while connected to a UNIX machine. Ask a tester or
developer to help set up your environment. You don't need a physical UNIX
machine. You can telnet to the UNIX machine from your PC using the
command:
telnet <UNIX_host_name>

You must have a UNIX account on the machine, and I'm guessing you need
your application software installed.

>There are five separate custom unix utilties, which can be called from
>either the graphical user interface or the command line.

Are the utilities invoked from a command-line? with options or variables?
If so, document each option and what it does. Some options may be required
while others are optional. If users need to write a shell script (batch
script) for the utilities, don't get hung up trying to learn vi or ed
command-line editors. Most UNIX machines have apps like Notepad. Solaris
has a great tool...I think it's called TextEdit, which is similar to
Notepad.

Telnet only provides a command-line interface to UNIX, so you'll require a
graphical interface to the UNIX machine. Try a tool like WinAxe. WinAxe
displays the graphical interface on your PC to the UNIX machine. In other
words, it looks like you're sitting in front of the UNIX machine.

Write back if you need more help.

Barry Cliver
Lead Technical Writer
Manugistics, Inc.