Re: Documenting unix utilites

Subject: Re: Documenting unix utilites
From: "Subash" <subash_tc -at- speedpost -dot- net>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 02 Dec 2003 04:40:32 -0800

On Mon, 1 Dec 2003 16:47:05 -0700, smithelizabeth -at- hotmail -dot- com said:

> I am a bit lost, and would like some advice concerning my next project.
>
> I am new to unix and have been asked to document custom unix utilities
> for
> our system administrators. Does anyone have any info for documenting
> custom unix utilities or where I could go for ideas or a place to start?
> The administative tools for the application I support is basically unix
> custom utilites, each with separate functions. Some administrative tasks
> involve going into more than one utility to perform a task, so I'd like
> to document it by utility. (Good idea?)

Hi Beth,

As others have explained, most of the UNIX documentation is in the form
of man pages. Apart from man pages, there are some key documents that are
delivered in the printed format. Typically, the system administrators'
tasks are documented in documents such as the installation guide,
administrator's guide, troubleshooting guide, etc. that are bundled with
the product. If you limit your documentation to man pages, your users
will find it difficult to locate information and understand the processes
to follow to perform the various tasks, especially if the tasks are going
to be performed at the installation/configuration stages.

Analyze the tasks in detail and create usable documentation in one or
more formats, depending on your audience profile and nature of tasks. If
you are creating man pages, try to explain the commands using enough
examples. For GUI-based applications, it would be better if you have an
online help integrated with the product. The online help should be
task-based and easily accessible. You can provide ample information about
all the tasks along with examples to make your users understand the
concepts and procedures easily.

Most of the companies develop online help using their proprietary
formats/tools. I am not aware of any tool that is available in the market
for developing online help for UNIX-based applications. AFAIK, HTML-based
online help can be integrated with such applications, but you have to be
sure that your help files will work on browsers that your flavor of UNIX
supports. Try to find out from your developers whether there are any
tools or formats available for creating online documentation for your
version of UNIX or they can develop one for creating documentation for
all products across the organization. :) Some of the popular man page
formats are nroff and troff. These formats contain a set of macros that
will take care of the formatting of man pages. The following links will
be of help in learning nroff/troff formats:

http://www.interec.com/manuales/unix_man/show41.htm
http://www.cs.pdx.edu/~trent/gnu/groff/

If you are new to UNIX, refer
http://www.ee.surrey.ac.uk/Docs/Unixhelp/TOP_.html. The site also
contains man pages, which you can use to learn the organization of
information in man pages.

Have a great day!

~Subash

--