RE: Finding Local Tech Writing Job...

Subject: RE: Finding Local Tech Writing Job...
From: Michael McCallister <Michae -dot- McCallister -at- msbinfo -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 2 Dec 2003 09:00:47 -0600

>Brian Chaney's looking for work.

You didn't mention what online classifieds you used, so let me put in a plug
for DICE (www.dice.com). Posting my resume there (and keeping it updated)
was probably the best thing I did in my job search. Hardly a week went by
when I didn't get a call from one agency or another--some good, some not so
good, you could generally tell from the phone call. I landed a few
short-term contracts that way, and wound up with my current gig (through
Manpower), which is a long-term contract with a good firm and perm
possibilities.

I'll re-affirm checking those corporate sites regularly. Also, does
Chattanooga have a Business Journal (or similar pub that covers local
business)? Don't just read the ads. Read the articles to find successful,
expanding companies, then send them a resume with a cover letter that
mentions the story and how you might help them. The business papers often
put out annual directories of local businesses (or Book of Lists) with
contact info. They're usually expensive for a job-seeker, but the local
library will have them, too.

Hope this helps.

Mike McCallister

This electronic message, along with any attachments, is intended only for
the person or entity to which it is addressed and may contain confidential
and/or privileged material. Any proprietary information or intellectual
property contained in this transmission remains the sole and exclusive
property of Marshall & Swift or Marshall & Swift/Boeckh. No right to use any
products or services described in this transmission is valid without an
executed and paid license agreement. If you received this in error, please
reply to advise sender and delete the material from any computer.

archive -at- raycomm -dot- com