Re: PC World RTFM

Subject: Re: PC World RTFM
From: Al Geist <al -dot- geist -at- geistassociates -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 09 Dec 2003 09:44:37 -0800

eric -dot- dunn -at- ca -dot- transport -dot- bombardier -dot- com wrote:

If you ask me, the quagmire of computer industry customer service goes far
beyond a simple case of badly written/translated documentation.

Eric is absolutely correct. I once ran a computer retail/service center and I can tell you that most of our problems directly related to the computer industry's focus on the bottom line. Putting all the manuals on a disk is great for that bottom line, but useless if you can't boot up the computer. Unfortunately, the decisions to move away from printed manuals is not done by the technical writer and is partly the customers fault. Customers want the most power for the least money, so they buy the cheapest system. In that sense, you get what you pay for and that means on line manuals which are useless if the system won't boot and in effective web help as the NVidia example.

Al
--

Al Geist, Geist Associates
From Concept to Completion

lets you easily single-source content to online Help, intranet, and Web. The interface is designed for FrameMaker users, so there is little or no
learning curve and no macro language required! Call 800-718-4407 for competitive pricing or download a trial at: http://www.ehelp.com/techwr-l4

archive -at- raycomm -dot- com