Finding Field Codes - Word

Subject: Finding Field Codes - Word
From: "J. Ressler" <jressler -at- ewa-denver -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 17 Dec 2003 15:17:43 -0700

The short of it -

How do I find a REF field code? What is the syntax in the Find and Replace dialog?

The long of it -

Last week I attempted to find and replace a cross-reference gone bad. If I have a large document with two fields in a row that now say Error! Reference source not found. Error! Reference source not found.

I would like to find and replace these blasted fields. Apparently (Thanks Steve Hudson) you cannot find and replace two fields in a row. So, I replaced the Error! blah blah blah... with XXX.

This resulted in XXX XXX because there was two instances of the Error! blah blah blah.

Then I used spell check to delete the second instances of XXX.

BUT XXX is still shaded grey because Word is viewing it as a field code. When I update my fields, it reverts back to Error! Reference source not found. Error! Reference source not found. This means that technically, Word still thinks there are two fields there.

How do I find a REF field code? What is the syntax in the Find and Replace dialog?

justin
Who is quickly becoming the biggest advocate for OO there is.

--
www.ccicolorado.org
"Exceptional Dogs for Exceptional People!"

lets you easily single-source content to online Help, intranet, and Web. The interface is designed for FrameMaker users, so there is little or no
learning curve and no macro language required! Call 800-718-4407 for competitive pricing or download a trial at: http://www.ehelp.com/techwr-l4

archive -at- raycomm -dot- com