Re: FWD: Outsourcing, layoffs, and preparing in advance

Subject: Re: FWD: Outsourcing, layoffs, and preparing in advance
From: Goober Writer <gooberwriter -at- yahoo -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Sun, 21 Dec 2003 06:08:01 -0800 (PST)

> I suspect our documentation team will be outsourced
> overseas sometime this summer. While I hope this
> does not happen, I want to use this lead time to
> prepare for such an eventuality. I am already
> looking into layoff insurance to help pay our
> substantial mortgage, and I am putting out feelers
> for freelance writing positions that I can now start
> on the side. One colleague from a previous company
> said I should not take a new job unless it is really
> something I like, and that I should stay until it
> happens so I get whatever severance is offered. Are
> there other suggestions on what you would do if you
> had this much lead time to prepare for a layoff?

I'm sorry to hear of your expected situation. As
someone who has been laid off several times during the
dot-bomb years, I can sympathize. Though, you have
foresight going for you, which helps a lot.

I think you're doing the right thing in planning for
the worst, and I can't think of any better advice to
compliment your plans. I also think your colleague is
correct, though what is possible for you to do
financially will have to prevail. I personally learned
my lesson after my last layoff and stuck it out, going
from small contract to small contract (never taking a
large one on purpose, so as not to contract myself out
of a good FT job should one open up). After about 6
months of working a particular contact over and over
and over, I was able to land my ideal job. I'm not
making more money than before, but I am very
well-compensated, the atmosphere at work is amazingly
friendly, energetic, open, and positive, and I have
the support from my peers and superiors to try new
techniques and such. It's a very great environment.

So, there is truth in your colleague's words, but only
you can decide whether or not you can afford the
gamble.

Good luck!

=====
Goober Writer
(because life is too short to be inept)

"As soon as you hear the phrase "studies show",
immediately put a hand on your wallet and cover your groin."
-- Geoff Hart

http://photos.yahoo.com/

archive -at- raycomm -dot- com