Re: Justification/Tech Writer Role/Non-Profit Development Team

Subject: Re: Justification/Tech Writer Role/Non-Profit Development Team
From: Goober Writer <gooberwriter -at- yahoo -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 19 Dec 2003 13:18:06 -0800 (PST)

> From a business justification standpoint, neither of
> these, and nothing LIKE these are the
> justification. The justification must be one or
> more of the following:
>
> -Save real money
> -Make real money
> -Gain marketshare
> -Gain a competitive advantage
> -Protect against legal action (see the first item)
> -Comply with regulatory requirements
>
> You gotta think in terms of bottom line...something
> that can be shown in a graph. To keep your job,
> your goal should be that at the end of every day,
> look back objectively and pick at least one thing
> you've done that day that translates into $$

John's absolutely right. I was going to reply as such
after my hasty first-send...

If you've been there a month and they are questioning
why you're there at all, that means they've seen no
worthy return on investment from you so far. So,
they're looking to save money and probably bring you
(hopefully you and not someone else) back later in the
game when they have something to gauge your work by.

Basically, and not to be rude, but it sounds like they
feel they're throwing money away on you right now, and
you've delivered nothing of real value so far. That
may or may not be the case, but that's the way it
sounds so far (people don't just ditch contractors
from a juicy contract such as this for no reason).

So, like John said, focus on the bottom line. And, do
take my previous response into consideration. If you
can work parallel to developers, and prove you're
docing so, the ROI is less wait time between code
complete and delivery, which makes the client happy.
Also, if you can work to solidify specs, that return
would mean a clearer direction for the work being
performed with a better idea of what the end result
should be.

Yes, weigh everything you do and plan to do against
the bottom line. As a non-FTE, you should get in the
habbit of doing that *every* day.

=====
Goober Writer
(because life is too short to be inept)

"As soon as you hear the phrase "studies show",
immediately put a hand on your wallet and cover your groin."
-- Geoff Hart

http://photos.yahoo.com/

archive -at- raycomm -dot- com