TW and/or information designer?

Subject: TW and/or information designer?
From: Geoff Hart <ghart -at- videotron -dot- ca>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 31 Dec 2003 10:50:02 -0500

Anthony Davey wondered: <<where, in practice, does the technical writer stop and the information designer begin? Or do they overlap?>>

I don't know of anyone working exclusively as an "information designer", though some people do make good livings as "information architects", which is a narrower subset of information design. But if I had to pick one phrase to describe what I do, "information design" would probably be it because I do fairly eclectic work.

I personally define "information design" as the art and science of figuring out how to bridge the gap between the person sending the message and the person receiving it. The "information" part is the message, shaped in such a way that it informs; the "design" part involves shaping that message. Overall, this may involve editing, identifying what the audience does and does not know, writing new content where content is lacking, deciding that writing isn't the best medium at all, and so on. Even when I focus on only one of those activities (e.g., writing), I still do the whole process of determining how to massage the message--sometimes more rigorously than others.

Pace Bruce Byfield, with whom I can be expected to disagree on about 50% of everything including the temperature <g>, I don't find the term "information designer" at all pretentious--at least, no more so than "technical writer". The value of a label is what it communicates, and pretentious is a combination of the eye of the beholder and the attitude of the person using the label. I don't oversell what I do or call it anything mystical--but I am pretentious enough to believe that I'm an expert at the job and that the job requires expertise.

--Geoff Hart ghart -at- videotron -dot- ca

lets you easily single-source content to online Help, intranet, and Web. The interface is designed for FrameMaker users, so there is little or no
learning curve and no macro language required! Call 800-718-4407 for competitive pricing or download a trial at: http://www.ehelp.com/techwr-l4

archive -at- raycomm -dot- com