Re: Writer's insurance question

Subject: Re: Writer's insurance question
From: "Bonnie Granat" <bgranat -at- granatedit -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 6 Jan 2004 11:43:13 -0500

Anthony Davey wrote:
> Bonnie Granat wrote:
>
>> Too bad I live in a state that isn't covered by
>> the company. Nice going, STC.
>>

> Be fair Bonnie, the STC isn't even the broker. Do you live in a
state
> where people will naturally sue if you just breathed air that used
> be theirs? Most people in the insurance business don't know their
> lower orifice from the joint half way along their arm. They don't
> read the small print any more than we (joe public) do.

This is the message that appears on the screen when I enter my ZIP
code:

Health Insurance in Massachusetts?

Thank you for your interest in HealthInsurance.com. We will soon
offer quick, accurate quotes for individual health insurance coverage
in your state. Please fill in the information below, and we will
contact you when our services become available.

> If you want your state covered ask the STC if it can happen. Then
ask
> if not, why not. I'm not supporting the STC particularly, just
happen
> to have been working with someone who has been reviewing insurance
> policies recently.

I think that if health insurance is not available in my state, I
should not have been sent the notice, which did not indicate that
there might be gaps in geographic service. I wrote the following to
STC after receiving its e-mail (below):

<begin quote>

The e-mail you sent to me (below) led me to believe that I could
obtain health insurance through an STC group.
Unfortunately, that was false.

The company does NOT offer health insurance to people in the state
where I live, Massachusetts.

Bonnie Granat
www.granatedit.com

<end quote>

Here's the e-mail:

Dear STC member,

STC now offers its members a range of health insurance options thanks
to a
program recently implemented in cooperation with Marsh Affinity Group
Services, a leader in insurance program management.

The new health insurance program gives STC members a number of
options.
Those who value "freedom of choice" when selecting a plan may enroll
in
the Major Medical Plan (Traditional). Those who prefer to choose from
prepared list of doctors and facilities may enroll in a Preferred
Provider
Option (PPO). Both are offered to individuals and to employers with a
small number of employees.

Self-employed members may want to consider the new plan's Medical
Savings
Account (MSA) option, while some small employers may prefer a Health
Maintenance Organization (HMO) option. To help STC members with their
decision process, a Web site has been posted at
http://stc.healthinsurance.com.

In addition, STC members may enjoy discounts on other types of
insurance
from Mutual of Omaha. These include disability coverage, critical
illness
insurance, life insurance, long term care insurance, and pension
plans.
Information about these insurance options can be found at
http://www.mutualofomaha.com/stc/.

If you've got questions about the insurance options and discounts
offered
to STC members, please contact the STC office at stc -at- stc -dot- org or (703)
522-4114.

Note: STC e-mails announcements for your information. If you do not
wish
to receive informational messages, you can remove yourself from the
distribution list by changing your membership restrictions. Please be
assured that STC never gives out members' e-mail addresses to third
parties.